NetScaler Gateway session profiles and Receiver for Windows RT clients

This one catches me out occasionally, because there’s only about three people in the world who use a Surface tablet and now and again one of those three people is a customer of mine.  Symptoms are an otherwise functioning Citrix XenApp or XenDesktop environment can be accessed (via a NetScaler) by any Receiver client with the exception of the Receiver for Windows RT client.  The usual symptoms are after entering the server URL and authentication credentials, you will get a blank “My Apps” screen and the progress/busy dots (I’m sure there’s an official name for them) just continually zip across the screen, the apps will never actually populate.

Receiver RT Screenshot

The issue lies with the URL in the Session Profile.  Your URL should look like the following screenshot:


Ie, it should read https://storefront.ActiveDirectoryFQDN.internal and there should be no trailing slash.  Bizarrely though, most Receiver clients will tolerate any of the following:

1: https://storefront.ActiveDirectoryFQDN.internal/Citrix/StoreName/
2: https://storefront.ActiveDirectoryFQDN.internal/Citrix/StoreName
3: https://storefront.ActiveDirectoryFQDN.internal/
or the correct
4: https://storefront.ActiveDirectoryFQDN.internal

The exception to this is the Receiver for Windows RT client, it works with the 2nd, 3rd and 4th options but not the first, displaying the behaviour described at the start of this post.  So either remove the trailing slash from your URL, or remove the sub-paths from the URL, and you should be good to go!

XenApp / XenDesktop, Android 4.0 and Certificates

I’ve encountered various certificate related issues with Citrix Receiver on mobile devices over the years, and most of the time the issues related to incorrectly installed or configured certificates.  Some of the common issues are the intermediate or root certificates aren’t installed, or the certificates aren’t linked correctly.

However Android 4.0 however seems to be fussier about certificates, and I’ve had working setups with Android 2.3 stop working under Android 4.0 (while Windows/Mac/iOS etc work all along).  To help assist those thinking about a new certificate, here are a couple of certificates that I have found to work 100% reliably with Android as well as some I know that seem to have issues:

Working Certificates:
GeoTrust TrueBusinessID
GeoTrust TrueBusinessID Wildcard
GoDaddy Standard or Premium SSL

Certificates I have had trouble with:

There will be more certificates out there that work reliably, but I have not tried them – once I discovered the GeoTrust ones work reliably I’ve stuck with them.  If you have reliable experiences with other certs, feel free to post a comment so we can all benefit from each other’s experiences.